Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Little Mickey Blanket ~ An adventure in crocheting

Recently I have been working on a circle afghan. Every time I take it out my beautiful 2 year old comes up to it and starts wrapping her dolls in it, calling it a baby blanket. This week I decided I would crochet her a doll blanket. I chose a Mickey Mouse theme (mostly because I knew I had red and black yarn on hand).

I decided half way through that this pattern would be beautiful as a "Frozen" theme. I will probably make another one that is blue and purple with a snowflake. You can find a general outline of the pattern at the bottom of this post.

 Almost done making strips.


 Adding the boarder.


 Ready to stitch on the Mickey Face.


Finished blanket. Folded to half the length.

 Pattern:

Color A. For the width of the blanket (Red shown above), Chain 20 +2 turn, dc in each stitch, turn, chain 2, dc in each dc. Cut yarn leaving a tail. This makes one strip. Make 14 strips using color
 number A.

Color B. For the high of the blanket (Black shown above), Chain 60 +2 turn, dc in each stitch, turn, chain 2, dc in each dc. Cut yarn leaving a tail. This makes one strip. Make 8 strips using color B.

Weave your strips together. Starting on one end, sc the weaved strips together around the exterior of the blanket. Finish off by weaving in loose ends of yarn. (yeah, I know, there are a ton of them.)

For the boarder. Starting at a corner, slip stitch into a sc, ch 4, skip 2 sc and sl st into the next sc. Chain 3, skip 2 sc and sl st into the next sc. Repeat around the edge of blanket. Once all the way round, chain 4, sl st into space of the first chain 3, chain 4, sl st into the space of the next chain 3. Repeat around.

For the Mickey Head. Using color B. Make a magic ring and crochet 10 sc into it, make a sl st into the first sc and fasten off. Repeat. These are your ears. For the head make a magic ring and crochet 10 sc into it. crochet a second and third round using this pattern: sc in first stitch, 2 sc in next stitch, sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch. Repeat this pattern for the third round of the head but sc through one sc of each ear attaching them as you go around.

Using White, sl st in each sc around the Mickey head. Use black crochet thread to attach the Mickey head to the Blanket, stitching in between the blanket and head so the thread doesn't show.


Note: I made this pattern up as I went based off a Pinterest image I saw of a weaved afghan. I followed through to the site but there was no pattern, so I made one up. I would love feedback on this pattern. (It's the first one I've written..) I apologize for errors in the pattern if there are any.


No comments:

Post a Comment